The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Campus Fleet


Who Can Drive a College Owned Fleet Vehicle?

Only employees of The College of New Jersey are authorized to operate college-owned fleet vehicles, as only they are afforded protection under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act. Any individual who is on The College of New Jersey payroll is considered an employee, including student workers. For liability reasons, individuals, including students, who are not employees of The College of New Jersey, are prohibited from using college-owned fleet vehicles under any circumstances.

An employee’s use of a college-owned fleet vehicle must be within the scope of his/her employment and for official college business only. Personal use is not permitted.

Individuals with a Graduated Driver’s License (GDL), learner’s permit, examination permit, probationary/provisional license, or similarly restricted license, are not permitted to operate college vehicles. The College does not display reflectorized decals on fleet vehicle license plates nor does it have the ability to supervise and enforce the numerous restrictions associated with these types of licenses.

The Campus Fleet Vehicle Reservation Process

The Department of Facilities & Administrative Services at The College of New Jersey maintains five campus fleet vehicles for use by college employees. These campus fleet vehicles may only be used for employee business travel with a total travel distance not to exceed 300 miles round trip (150 miles each way). The campus fleet vehicles are located at the Administrative Services Building in parking lot number 18. The campus fleet is comprised of the following vehicles:

  • Five, Seven (7) passenger Dodge Caravans

Below is a listing of the steps outlining the reservation process for a campus fleet vehicle. Please make sure you take the time to read the entire Campus Fleet Vehicle Reservation website to fully understand all of the terms and conditions regarding the operation of a campus fleet vehicle.

Please note that the reservation process applies to the campus fleet vehicles maintained at the Administrative Services Building only, and does not apply to other college-owned vehicles that may be managed by other campus departments. Operators of any college-owned vehicle are still required to complete the Driver’s License Verification process as detailed below.

Step 1:

To operate any college-owned fleet vehicle, you will need to provide a copy of your current valid driver’s license to the Office of Facilities Operations via email at This information must be emailed to Facilities prior to completing step two.

Step 2:

In order to reserve a campus fleet vehicle, you will need to fill out the Reservation Request Form. This form will need to be completed and submitted to the Facilities Maintenance building at least one week prior to your departure date. Submitting a request is not a guarantee that a vehicle will be reserved or available for your use.

Step 3:

For additional drivers, you will need to fill out the Additional Driver Form. This form will need to be completed and submitted with the Reservation Request Form to the Facilities Maintenance building one week prior to your departure date. All additional drivers are required to follow Step 1 above.

Step 4:

When your reservation is accepted, you will receive a confirmation appointment/email via the Zimbra calendar system. You will need to accept the confirmation appointment just as you would a meeting. The confirmation email will include the time you will need to come to the Facilities Maintenance building (See Campus Map) to pick-up the van keys. All keys must be picked up during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8 am-4 pm). Additionally, the confirmation email will have an attachment to the forms you will need to print out and complete in order to operate the vehicle. Please bring the completed forms with you when you pick-up the keys at the Facilities Maintenance building. Please note that vehicles that are intended for use on the weekends and whose keys are picked up during the week should not be picked up and driven home the day the keys are picked up. The fleet vehicle should remain on campus until such time that it is required for business-related travel.

Step 5:

Once your paperwork is processed and you have keys in hand, you will need to go to the Administrative Services Building (See Campus Map) to pick-up the van. Choose the van whose license plate matches the license plate field on the paperwork.

You are responsible for all of the materials provided to you from the time you sign out the vehicle until the time that you return it. You must complete the sections on the Sign-Out form regarding the vehicle’s condition prior to leaving campus. This is important since you will be held responsible for all damages observed on the vehicle upon its return.

Step 6:

If the vehicle needs fueling, please fill the van using the GASBOY Fob at the GASBOY pump located at the Administrative Services Building. If you have a problem with the GASBOY you can proceed to an off-campus gas station and use the Visa card that is also provided with the keys.

The Visa card should only be used if you need any additional gas or van-related emergency services (towing, repairs, and similar). All receipts must be retained and surrendered upon return of the van in the receipt envelope. Any unauthorized use of the VISA card will result in disciplinary action being taken against the user. This action may include but is not limited to, criminal investigation and/ or termination of employment.

Step 7:

When returning the vehicle, you will need to drop it off at the Administrative Services Building. Please park in the available fleet vehicle parking slots. You will then need to drop the receipt wallet that should contain the keys, the GASBOY Fob, the VISA card, the insurance card, the registration card, and any receipts you have retained when using the VISA card at the Facilities Maintenance Building. During regular business hours (Monday through Friday 8 am-4 pm) the keys may be returned to the front office staff. During off-hours, the receipt wallet and all materials are to be placed in the locked drop box located at the front door of the Facilities Maintenance Building.

While driving a college-owned vehicle, it is expected that all traffic laws and speed limits will be adhered to. All fines for any traffic, parking, and any related expenses (e.g. ticketing/towing) will be the sole obligation of the vehicle operator. While driving a vehicle that carries The College’s name, it is important to remember that you represent our institution to others.

In Case of an Accident

If you should have an accident while driving a college-owned vehicle, it is imperative that it be reported to the local police department. Simply exchanging insurance information with the other driver is not acceptable. The accident should be reported even if it does not involve another vehicle. Remember to use the VISA card for all emergency towing/repairs. In addition, the Office of Campus Police Services must be notified immediately of any accidents involving a college vehicle. The Office may be reached from off-campus by calling (609) 771-2167 or from an on-campus phone at extension 2167.